I’ll admit there is nothing especially Christmas based in this recipe. It’s more the fact most Aussies love having trifle at Christmas and that it would just seem wrong not to be eating it sometime over the holidays.
What goes in to make it so good:
2 Jam rolls – You’ll need enough to cover half-way up the sides of your bowl and then more.
2 punnets strawberries (washed, hulled and cut in half)
2 punnets raspberries
1 large carton thick Vanilla Custard
Jello – strawberry or raspberry
Nuts for topping.
- Prepare jello as directed on packet a few hours before you begin to make the actual trifle. Pour into a square cake pan and set in fridge.
- Cut Jam roll into round slices. Line the bowl with slices up to half way. You’ll need some extra for further layering.
- Splash sponge with sweet sherry. (This is a traditional option in Australia. Not necessary, but trust me, it turns the trifle into a winner!)
- Add a layer of banana and / or berries.
- Pour over at least half your vanilla custard.
- Bring on the jello! Use a knife to cut jello into small cubes and transfer half to the bowl.
- Add another layer of sponge roll and cover again with fruit, custard and jello.
- Cover with plastic wrap. NOTE: Gently press the plastic wrap down to seal over the jello and up the insides of the bowl. (This makes sure the custard and jello don’t develop a hard skin covering.) Place the bowl in fridge for a few hours or overnight to soak.
- Gently lift off plastic wrap. Add freshly whipped cream and sprinkle over with slivered almonds or your choice of nut toppings.
My author links:
Facebook Fan Page: http://on.fb.me/1dwGftv
Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/fionaarcherauthor
Chloe’s Double Draw:
Don’t forget High-Stakes Loving, Book 2 in King’s Bluff, Wyoming Series comes out in January!