It’s time for our last recipe of the season. This is one that I knew as soon as I read it was perfect for New Years in fact it kinda makes me wish we weren’t going out so we could make this. If anyone does make let me know how it is please.
German Feuerzangenbowle (Burnt Punch)
-8 ½ cups of red wine
-1 stick cinnamon
-dash ground ginger
-1 Zuckerhut (sugar cone) or ½ pound sugar loaf
-2 cups brown rum (at least 54% alcohol)
- 1. Wash the oranges and lemons, pat dry and cut into slices or wedges.
- 2. In a large pot add red wine, oranges, lemons, cinnamon and cloves. Heat up slowly, but don’t bring it to a boil.
- 3. Remove pot from burner. Add ginger.
- 4. Place a metal grill or rack overtop of the pot, making sure that it is securely in place. Place the Zuckerhut above the red wine mixture on rack (in Germany they sell special fire tongs to hold the cone over the wine, but they’re hard to come across in North America).
- 5. Soak the Zuckerhut with rum and light up the alcohol. The sugar will melt and drip into the wine. Add rum a bit at a time to keep the fire burning until the sugar loaf is used up.
- 6. After the Zuckerhut is used up stir gently and serve.
SAFETY: be very careful, you are handling with alcohol and fire. Take the necessary precautions.